International Journal of Research Studies in Management
CollabWritive Special Issue
2023 Volume 11 Issue 12
Available Online: 31 December 2023
Esparagoza, Airabel A.*
Divine Word College of San Jose, Philippines (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bartolo, Jessa F.
Divine Word College of San Jose, Philippines (email@example.com)
Limos-Galay, Jenny A.
Divine Word College of San Jose, Philippines (firstname.lastname@example.org)
This research analyzed the parental engagement among Senior High School parents in Divine Word School of Semirara Island Incorporated using semi-structured interviews and thematic analysis. Specifically, this study aimed to analyze the various approaches and initiatives implemented to encourage and sustain parental engagement in the educational process, and to determine the importance of communication and information in School activities. The findings of the study revealed that respondents consider parental involvement to be the active participation of parents in their child’s educational path, both at home, at school, and in the larger community. In addition, the school’s communication efforts with students are varied, combining modern digital tools with traditional ways. The essential methods of general information transmission are group discussions on Messenger and individual communications with teacher advisers. Results showed that 70% of parents demonstrate regular engagement, especially during important events, while the remaining 30% may need more assistance. Communication methods, such as group chats, personal messages, and formal letters are vital. Therefore, the study recommends that the school diversify engagement initiatives by offering a wider range of activities that suit the different preferences and schedules of parents; improving communication channels using modern tools to ensure effective information sharing; and inviting parental participation in decision-making processes are important steps to create a sense of shared ownership. A two-way communication approach should be encouraged, creating opportunities for parents to share their views and issues. Providing training for school staff on effective engagement strategies and cultural sensitivity can help create a more inclusive environment.
Keywords: parental engagement, educational path, partnership approaches, communication methods, thematic analysis, Divine Word School of Semirara Island Incorporated
Cite this article:
Esparagoza, A. A., Bartolo, J. F., & Limos-Galay, J. A. (2023). Exploring parental engagement and partnership approaches in Divine Word School of Semirara Island Incorporated. International Journal of Research Studies in Management, 11(12), 71-77. https://doi.org/10.5861/ijrsm.2023.1154
* Corresponding Author